Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The 'Other Side'

It is a dreaded time of the school year on the 'Other Side' of the world. Most schools are getting ready for Fall Break. That means parent teacher conferences. I do not look forward to meeting with the teachers. 

I hear the same thing year after year. 'Mrs. Lemons, your child is a wonderful student! What a joy to have in class! Sure, (s)he is struggling with getting (her)his assignments in, and is failing my class, but they have to potential to do great and I just love (her)his smile! 

Every year I have walked away from these conferences frustrated, upset, and deflated. Then I get home and all of my friends have begun posting on social media about the results of their meetings. 'Johnny's teachers ALL said he was a model student! He has an A+ in EVERY SINGLE SUBJECT, and is on the Presidential Honor Roll!'

I don't openly post updates about my meetings. I don't comment on the posts of others either. When I read these posts I feel inadequate. I've failed as a parent, yet again, and am emotional because I am not able to post the same thing. Ever. 

I wonder if parents of Johnny realize what their proud moment does to the 'Other Side' of the coin? It's the same with our babies/toddlers. While other parents are bragging about how Susie was pulling up on her own at 4 months, walking at 8 months, and speaking full sentences before their first birthday, the Lemons mom is reading it and feeling sadness and despair because the Little Lemonhead can't even complete a full sentence and he is four years old. 

I do what I can and I love my kids just as much as the next mom. But, my tear soaked eyes and my hurting heart won't let my fingers respond to your joy.  

Sincerely, 

Mom from the 'Other Side' 

1 comment:

Sheena said...

I've never thought of it that way Bree, definitely opened my eyes. I feel your pain on the teacher's meetings and somewhat on the little Lemon. You are a GREAT mama and you cannot make them do everything or succeed in every way you want them too no matter how hard you try. You are doing a fabulous job and have 4 great kids. They will get there!