Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Audacity of Me








I know that it is not a problem that I suffer with alone. I know that moms everywhere face the same battles. I am seriously considering a support group. Moms of bickering children. I hear it all too often. Let me explain the first part of our evening yesterday.

I have been volunteering in Kayla's class on Monday's, Wednesday's, and Friday's, all things permitting. I was in her class yesterday. She & I picked Chris up after school as usual. I don't remember what got them talking about it, but they began debating about whether there was an elementary school in the Claremore district that did not have buses drop off or pick up. They debated on this subject from the Junior High to Reasor's. I tried to explain to them that it was a terrible waste of time to bicker about something that has no effect on us at all. But, oh, bicker away! I finally put the kibosh to the topic. As we were walking into Reasor's, Kayla asked if she could push the cart. No problem with me, just one less thing I have to do! Little did I know, this was the begining of yet another debate. The topic of this debate was whether Chris would walk in front, or behind, Kayla while she was pushing the cart and the events that took place during the last trip when Kayla pushed the cart. Another five minute debate in which I made the same failing attempts and had to squelch. We made it out of Reasor's and headed home. The next debate began moments into the house when Chris felt that he needed to turn his mommy switch on and inform Kayla that she needed to be aware of how many ice cream bars she was eating because they are worthy are preservation. After reminding them to turn the mommy's buttons off they let this one go as well. That was the first thirty minutes of interaction for the siblings since before school. What a night to look forward too.

Tom & I discussed our ever so pleasant afternoon when he got home from work. He and I decided that we would handle this in a manner that would leave a lasting impression. We told the kids that if they decided to bicker with each other again during the evening they would have to move cinder blocks from the back yard to the front and back 10 times.I guess Kayla thought we were bluffing. Unfortunately, they decided to bicker some more. We bought cinder-blocks.


Chris was at a scout meeting. Kayla went with us to get the blocks. She protested the entire trip. She even expressed that she wished that she were like the Hulk so that she could smash Tom's head right then. They had to move the cinder blocks when we got home. Kayla protested and complained the entire time. The blocks were pretty heavy for her small body. It seemed as though she thought she could use that to her advantage. Ya know, if she complained and cried enough we would let her off the hook. No such luck. She did manage to have a reduced number of trips because we didn't want to overdo it. Chris was a champ! He did not complain one single time, and, he was quick to be a cheerleader for Kayla. I was so proud of him! He was very encouraging to Kayla and even slowed down to make sure that she was not alone!

I hope that a lesson was learned by both children. Kayla did start her morning off this morning on the same path she was on yesterday. We decided that we weren't going to buy any more cereal until all of the old cereal was eaten. Kayla feels as though this is unfair. Her argument to the situation is that you have to add sugar to Rice Crispies. And, you don't know how much. This is her reason why it is so terrible that she has to eat the Rice Crispies before she can have a different type of cereal. Unbelievable! The audacity of me to ask such a thing!

2 comments:

Annie said...

What a hoot!! I'm so glad only ONE of mine can talk! But my day is coming...

Sabrina Lemons said...

Yep...well, I talked to their therapist about thinking I was going to get griped out...she thought it was brilliant and said she would suggest it to more clients of hers!