Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Rice Krispies










I cannot believe it. Why does most everything have to be a battle with kids? I mean, really. I am stuck on this trivial Rice Krispies problem. What started out as a simple solution for an excess amount of cereal has turned into such a pain. It seemed easy...'we have two large boxes of Rice Krispies that are just sitting in the pantry...eat all that we have, then we will buy different cereal.' Boy did I fool myself.




These three little guys have become a major source for a power struggle. Kayla has expressed opposition to them since the moment we discussed it. She feels that this cereal is not worthy of consuming because you have to add sugar and there is no defining way to ensure that you are adding the correct amount. Really!?! Talk about a Princess complex. She has managed to stretch the Frosted Flakes that she has for a week now. This morning, before she would eat she scoured the pantry for another option. Having found nothing she gave in. She asked Chris what he did to his Krispies. 'Nothing? You just ate them?' As if this is such an absurd thing! Then she educates us by announcing that one can make Krispies Treats. She sat down at the table and ate the first spoonful and exclaimes...'these are good'. Whoa.




Then we have Chris. He has made small attempts to avoid eating the Krispies. His attempts have been trying to eat the emergency supply of PopTarts...in case we wake up late...or today, he tried a PB&J. While this is not a bad selection, it is still avoiding the inevitable. I had a discussion with him about trying to avoid eating the cereal. I left the room and came back a moment later to find him sitting at the table with a bowl of Rice Krispies and the sandwich packed for lunch. Oh, I am such a heel. I felt like such a jerk. I told him that I loved him and that he was a great kid no matter how much I complained. He has really stepped up lately and displayed some angelic behavior.




I think I will give this little problem another day. This morning, I envisioned my self shoveling spoonfuls of cereal down the throats of my little monsters...or waiting until they were sound asleep and then covering them in the cereal. Or, force them to eat only the cereal when they complain about hunger pangs. Their attitudes have shown improvement. I think that I will simply let this go for a little while. If they eat them with no protest for a day or two then I think they will be rewarded with the biggest box of the cereal of their choice. Maybe it will help them see that if they don't fight it they will get what they want in the end.














2 comments:

Annie said...

LOVE IT!!! Kids are so funny!

Sabrina Lemons said...

I wish I loved it!