Saturday, April 4, 2009

RH negative

When I was in high school I donated blood to the American Red Cross. They typed me as O+. When I was pregnant the first time, the Dr's office typed me as O-. I explained to them that the Red Cross had already typed me and that they said I was O+. The OB took another sample and typed it as O+. I have donated four times to the Red Cross and four times to the Oklahoma Blood Institute. All donations have been typed as O+. Now I am pregnant again and the new OB typed me as O-.
How is this possible? I inquired about it at the Red Cross. The RN I spoke to said that I must be a weak positive. I have no discovered that my dad has been through the same thing. When he enlisted in the military they typed him as O-. When he donated blood they typed him as O+. I wonder how many other people there are with the same scenario?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weird! I'm O+ (I believe) and wow, I have never heard of that and I'm a nurse.

Sabrina Lemons said...

Annie actually posted a link about a woman that had the opposite happen!