Friday, February 25, 2011

The woe's of fitness

I have learned just how un-fun the repercussions of instructing fitness classes can be. There are muscles that a person doesn't even realize they have. Those muscles are SO sore!!! The muscles that are on the inside of your shins...right next to the shin bone...are painfully sore. It feels as though my muscles may just rip completely off if I squat down. 

Most people don't take into consideration that there is more than meets the eye for instructing Zumba classes. I truly wish that I had some natural ability to choreograph and memorize instantly. Since I'm a robotic white girl, it takes hours, and I do mean hours, of practice to remember the routine. Can you imagine four to six solid hours of Zumba? That is what it takes if you aren't a natural. That is just PRACTICE TIME!!! Most instructors teach at least three classes a week. That is a lot of cardio in a week!
There are tons of really great positive things involved in being an instructor =) I get the honor of helping so many wonderful people become physically fit. I've seen what Zumba can do for a persons attitude...and it is SO positive! The relationships that are built in the Zumba world are so encouraging and supportive. The Zumba company is incredibly involved with charity and giving back to our communities. There are always Zumbathons going on! Since I've been an instructor there have been Zthons for MS and heart health. Two of my fave instructors had a regular class this week and they gave every bit of the money for the class to a family in Verdigris (the town they have class in) whose little daughter was battling a brain tumor. They were able to donate $700 + to that family!

I feel so fortunate to be a part of the Zumba world. If anyone is a physical therapist and would like to fix me pro-bono...I would greatly appreciate it!!!

3 comments:

Samara Sant said...

Alright so when is the nezxt Zumba class you are teaching? I am SO there!

Jen said...

I don't know how I missed this post, but I did. And in the first 2 paragraphs, you manage to say EXACTLY how I'm feeling with my shin pain right now. EXCRUCIATING! I know that the only thing that will help it get better is to take some time off. Bit I can't and won't do that to my students! I know you understand!

Sabrina Lemons said...

I do know exactly what you mean! I love my job and don't ever want to disappoint my students!