Friday, March 4, 2011

Facing your giant

After my last blog posting...I've been thinking...there are things that I don't like about being human. One of the MAJOR reasons would be: fear, sadness, and the necessity to make difficult decisions!

I've always had healthy teeth. They may not be very white. I smoked for twelve years. I have also always enjoyed coffee and tea. I've never been big on chewing gum...I usually chew my cheeks and lips more than my gum. I was 28 before I had my first filling. While I was pregnant with Logan my wisdom teeth began to deteriorate. I have one that has decayed and needs pulled now. I am fortunate, according to my dentist, that I don't experience much pain with my teeth. To be honest...I rarely have any pain with my teeth. The dentist that I see regularly has offered to pull one of my wisdom teeth, but says that all four of them need to be pulled. 
{Whispering with full anxiety}This. scares. me.

I know it is irrational. I know that I shouldn't be scared of having the oral surgery done. I have birthed three children! The last child was an induction, however, I didn't use any pain meds...only pitocin. So why am I SO afraid to get my teeth pulled? 

I've seen so many cases on television of people having serious pain when their teeth were involved. Have you ever seen "Cast Away"? I don't know that I could ever be so desperate to knock my own tooth out with an ice skate. I just simply cannot fathom it.

What I need...what will make me get it done...is to have someone show me that I won't experience that type of pain before I have the procedure done. I think that maybe that will ease my anxiety. I'm not only concerned with the pain that may ensue...I'm also concerned about the recovery. I can't seem to imagine what will happen to the remaining hole once I eat food. I have no idea, whatsoever, about how the body heals from something being ripped from it like that. 

Maybe one day I will slow down and concentrate enough to do some research and find out for myself how the entire process works. I am most positive that I can Google it or youtube it. I probably won't like what I find, but I'm sure the information is out there.

Why do humans have to experience fear?

2 comments:

Jen said...

The epithelium (that soft tissue that makes up your organs, the inside of your mouth, and your gums) has an amazing capacity for healing quickly. It is full of blood vessels, which provide the necessary minerals, nutrients and other vital things to help it heal quickly. Since you no longer smoke, the pain will last at most about 2 days, then be tender a bit for maybe another 4 days. It's not as big and scary as some surgeries, but I certainly understand your fear. I too have 3 wisdom teeth that need to come out, and have put it off.

Annie said...

Right there with ya sista!! I have had 2 pulled but need the other 2 cut out. One is lying RIGHT ON THE NERVE. And the mouth does heal quickly if you don't get dry sockets or an infection! I have heard HORROR stories. SO I will probably die with my 2 remaining wisdom teeth.