Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I am going to start Monday

Have you ever had the intention of doing great things, Monday? 

Ever had a bad habit you wanted to kick, starting Monday? 

What was the last new beginning you promised yourself you would start, Monday?

We have all done this. There are some people in this world that never have any intention of making positive changes. I like to believe that they are few and far between. I mean, even the Grinch came around after seeing joy in others! 

So why do we set ourselves up like that? Why do we care enough to know that we need a change, but not care enough to follow through with the change? Words are powerful! Spoken words, to a friend, colleague, family member, or group have a tendency to help keep us accountable. Why do we always tell our best friend we are going to start our change in life, tomorrow?

It's because we know that we need too. We only half way commit. We lack the desire to actually follow through all the way to the end. We are scared. Intimidated. Especially when it comes to exercise. We don't want to feel the burn from an awesome workout. We don't want to take the grief from our family members or friends about spending less time with them and more time with the gym (which is a completely different blog that I'll get to next, I hope).

I have known my entire life that I needed to shed these unwanted pounds. I've never been skinny. I hear that I am now. I see that I am smaller than I've ever been before. I can still stand to shed some more. Don't worry, I'm not going to become one of the people that has such a delusion of self that I take it too far. I was intimidated in the past. Even when I fell in love with Zumba, I was intimidated. I saw the amazing instructors at the front of the class. They had their hiney's millimeters off the floor during squats. They were jumping and jumping and jumping over a foot or two in the air with every single song. But at 5'6 and over 200 lbs, how the heck was I gonna move this house without experiencing the excruciating burn. Heck, my calve muscles might even {whispering} break off!!!


Then it happened. One of those amazing instructors caught me and a couple other gals giving her grief. Her class was SO easy, I barely even broke a sweat (all in jest, of course). And she did it. She challenged us. And, to make matters worse, she challenged us on FACEBOOK!!! Gah! I can't back down from THAT! Her challenge was simple. "Jump when I jump and squat as low as I do when we do squats." She didn't ask anything unreasonable out of us. I certainly couldn't back down! The next class I went to had a LOT of people in it. I'm talking over 70. I did it. I couldn't jump as high as she did (still can't), but I did it. And ya know, my muscles didn't break off. I didn't shake the earth beneath me. And I got a taste for it. I figured if I could do it once, I could do it again. And again. And again. 


That was the extra push that I needed. That was what made me decide to finally get off the crazy, heavy, unhealthy road I was on. I won't make resolutions any more. Resolution is just a big word for setting yourself up for disappointment. And just like the title of the Blog, you won't hear me say, I am going to start Monday. Because I am human, if I allow myself the avenue to back out, then I welcome in reasons not to. If I come across a new idea, a new workout, a new type of eating habit, I will start it today. Even better than that, I will start it now. 

An acquaintance of mine that is a Zumba instructor is starting a seven day challenge today. While I am not going to announce on Facebook that I am going to follow her challenge, I still have plans too. Her challenge is this...
My seven day fitness challenge: 30 minutes of physical activity per day, 200 sit ups/ crunches, 100 push ups, and 200 squats/ lunges...... No fast food and No fried foods. Who's going to join me? Wednesday, Nov. 9 is Day One - Let's Get It!
I'm going to start...TODAY!!!! Now, in the famous words that are listed below...


"Do you wanna be skinny?!?!?! Then shut up and do your mountain climbers!" --Jillian Michaels



No comments: