Thursday, November 17, 2011

People of Youth

I was reading a blog yesterday by Sarah Markley. She is an amazing blogger. She was discussing what is true. After reading her words, I felt what she was referring too. I went to pick my kids up from school. Usually, I will sit on my phone and play games until my kids come out. I took a different approach to my time waiting. I decided to people watch. I watched all of the children as they walked on unaware of my presence. 

They say that children are a good mirror image into what their parents are like. I believe that I fall outside of that fact, as do my children. I often find fault in my children, complain about their mistakes, express my disappointment in their decisions, and worry about what their futures could possibly hold. I have so much more than what I think about that I should be thankful for with my kids. (I don't know if that sentence actually makes any sense or not, but I couldn't figure out how else to word it) A lot of parents have to deal with issues in their children's lives that far surpass anything I have experienced. They have life threatening illnesses to handle daily. Some of them have disabilities that require so much that it is mindblowing. I am not one of those parents. 

I was never, nor have I ever bee, skinny. I am healthier now than I have ever been. I am far more conscience about the need for a healthy lifestyle than some parents. I struggle constantly with my children over food. They are skinny. It doesn't seem to matter what goes into their bodies, they remain skinny. Both of them take medicine daily. There are weight requirements for them to take the medicine. My children are always walking the line of being underweight. If it weren't for their height, both of them would be able to wear the same clothes that a 10 year old would wear. It is challenging, to say the least, to try to get them to understand the importance of nutrition. They know they won't get fat if they eat nothing but junk. They know they don't require exercise to remain skinny. What I can't get them to understand is that even though they are skinny, I whip their tails as far as being fit is concerned. 

I am thankful that I have never experienced the feelings associated with being a parent with an overweight child. I am fortunate enough to not have to deal with allergies, ailments, or disease. I hope that my children will never experience the emotion involved with being overweight. There is a lot to be said about ignorance being bliss. I watched all of the children walking to their rides. I was saddened to see that more than half of them were seriously overweight. I felt anger toward the parents that allow their children to be so excessively unhealthy. How can a parent do that to their child? Why in the world would a  parent just sit back and allow their teenage child to be 50lbs or more overweight? Don't the parents know that they need to be a positive influence in their childrens lives? They should encourage their children to be active! They need someone like Jillian Michaels to come whip their bo-hiney's into shape! Gah it irritates me.


Then I sit and take a look inside. I go within my life. The saying 'Don't judge a book by it's cover' if fitting. here. I need to change. I need to get my children off the couch. I try to encourage them to exercise. It falls on def ears. I need to change the situation so that exercise is no longer an option. It's difficult. We live pretty far from any type of athletic facility. I would take them to the track at the high school since I pick them up from there every weekday, except the elements are of concern for my toddler. I am totally willing to take my kids to the rec center. They love to swim. My husband (the one with the irrational fears about children) refuses to allow Logan into a public pool without his strong arms there to save the day in case of an emergency. There are a multitude of reasons that I have come up with to not force my children to be active.

I will gladly listen to any suggestions that my friends may offer to get these kids active! I think Jillian should change her words just a bit. I think it should read more like..."You want be healthy? Then shut up and do your mountain climbers!"

2 comments:

runnerwannabe said...

would they consider karate or dance or gymnastics? you have to find something they enjoy. Good luck though, sometimes teenagers are so difficult! ;)

Jody Lynn Wynn (yes, really) said...

We are trying family fun activities right now to be more active. I bought us all tennis rackets. You can play in town for free. Kids rackets are not that expensive at all. I also get outside and play baseball and socccer with my kids. We live way out in the sticks so we just have to take advantage of having a huge yard!

That being said I wanted to share a little of my story with you. I was a complete twig in high school but I was not in shape at all, I stopped all activities after 9th grade and couldnt run to save my life. I was tiny, but not healthy. I weighed 133 lbs at 18, nine months pregnant with my daughter. My daughter is now about to be 17 and is overweight. She started dance at 3, did that for 9 years. Played soccer for 7 years, and still plays fast pitch softball. She plays 4 instruments and is an honor's student. She is not very social, she is picked on and has been bullied. Once I made her stand up for herself to a little girl half her size. She now has confidence, and a belly.

I am trying really hard to be healthy now that I have gotten so far off of the wagon. Looking back of course I see things that I could have done differently. I didnt set the perfect example and I let myself go. But I will never ever be another voice in my daughter's head telling her that what she is is wrong. My daughter can hit a ball farther than anyone on her team and will beat you to 3rd base everytime. She has never been in trouble and is already touring colleges. Do I want her to struggle with her weight? NO! I know how painful it is. People are always going to look at you from afar and judge. But if it isnt weight it will be something else. I have to say that weight doesn't mean lazy, it doesn't mean unhealthy and it doesn't mean bad parenting. Just my opinion from my own personal, painful experience.